Rural Development (LEADER) Programme 2014-2020
The Rural Development (LEADER) Programme aims to improve the quality of life in rural areas and to encourage diversification of the rural economy. Under the current programme, local projects may be funded under three RDP themes and nine sub-themes as shown below
Theme 1: Economic Development, Enterprise Development and Job Creation
- Rural Tourism
- Enterprise Development
- Rural Towns
Theme 2: Social Inclusion
- Basic Services Targeted at Hard to Reach Communities
- Rural Youth
Theme 3: Rural Environment
- Protection and Sustainable Use of Water Resources
- Protection and Improvement of Local Biodiversity
- Development of Renewable Energy
The programme will operate on the basis of two types of Calls which will be opened on a phased basis:
- Targeted Calls for EOIs: Targeted periodic Calls for EOIs are issued to ensure that funding is targeted where it most delivers value, is awarded based on comparative assessment and secures equal opportunities for potential applicants.
- Rolling Calls for EOIs: EOIs may be accepted on a “first come, first served” basis.
The Expression of Interest (EOI) is the first step of this two-step LEADER application process. Fully completed EOI’s will be assessed for eligibility under the Rural Development (LEADER) Programme 2014-2020 and approved by the Limerick LCDC. Following eligibility assessment of EOI’s, applicants will be informed of the outcome. If the project is eligible in principle the applicant will be invited to make a formal application for funding. Applicants will be invited to engage and participate in a range of application support activities before completing and returning applications in line with the requirements and timeframes as set out in each particular LEADER Funding Call and the LEADER Operation Rules. Please note timeline for approval of projects will be significantly longer than under previous programmes.
Targeted calls are open in West Limerick (Closing Date for Expression of Interest is April 7th 2017):
- Tourism Accomodation
Rolling Calls are now open for:
- Technical Feasibility Studies
- Environmentally Sustainable Communities
Copies of the Call Documents and Expressions of Interest Form can be requested from email@example.com or by contacting one of the RDP Project Officers:
Donna Cleary (Community Projects) on 069 66294
Helen O’Connor (Enterprise and Tourism Projects) on 069 66298
Suzanne Rowley (Environmental Projects and Programme Coordinator) on 069 79114
Later in 2017 Calls will open for:
- Sustainable Growth & Development of Festivals (Expected to open in August)
- Tourism Product Development (Expected to open in October)
- Rural Town Regeneration (Expected to open in November)
Limerick Local and Community Development Committee (LCDC) is the Local Action Group (LAG) for County Limerick and is responsible for the management of the LEADER Local Development Strategy (LDS) in the county. West Limerick Resources CLG is its implementation partner in the West Limerick area and will deliver the majority of project and animation related actions associated with the implementation of the LDS including managing calls for proposals. Limerick City and County Council are the financial partner and secretariat.